A Companion to Metaphysics, 2nd Edition
Fully extended and revised, A Companion to Metaphysics 2nd Edition includes a section of detailed review essays from renowned metaphysicians, and the addition of more than 30 new encyclopedic entries, taking the number of entries to over 300.
- Includes revisions to existing encyclopedic entries
- Features more than 30 all-new "A to Z" entries
- Offers a section of in-depth, essays from renowned metaphysicians
- Provides the most complete and up-to-date reference guide for students and professionals alike
Worlds of Truth: A Philosophy of Knowledge
Worlds of Truth: A Philosophy of Knowledge explicates and builds upon a half century of philosophical work by the noted philosopher Israel Scheffler.
- Propounds a new doctrine of plurealism which maintains the existence of multiple real worlds
- Offers a defense of absolute truth, which denies certainty and eschews absolutism, and defends systematic relativity, objectivity, and fallibilism
- Emphasizes a wide range of pragmatic interests: epistemology and scientific development, cognition and emotion, science and ethics, ritual and culture, and art and science
Writing: Theory and History of the Technology of Civilization
Barry B. Powell
Writing: Theory and History of the Technology of Civilization traces the origins of writing tied to speech from ancient Sumer through the Greek alphabet and beyond.
- Examines the earliest evidence for writing in Mesopotamia in the fourth millennium BC, the origins of purely phonographic systems, and the mystery of alphabetic writing
- Includes discussions of Ancient Egyptian,Chinese, and Mayan writing
- Shows how the structures of writing served and do serve social needs and in turn create patterns of social behavior
- Clarifies the argument with many illustrations